80g mature cheddar cheese
40g (about 3 tbsp) butter or unsaturated margarine
40g (about 4 tbsp) plain flour
600ml (1 pint) milk
A pinch of ground black pepper
Hand whisk or wooden spoon
Grate the cheese onto the chopping board.
Put the butter or unsaturated margarine, flour and milk into a saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat, stirring continuously with a whisk or wooden spoon until the sauce bubbles and thickens. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
Add the grated cheese to the sauce and stir until it has all melted. Add black pepper.
- Any type of grated hard cheese can be used to make the sauce
- Add chopped fresh or dried herbs to the sauce such as parsley or basil to add variety
- Pour over cooked pasta such as macaroni
- Use the cheese sauce as a dip for cooked vegetables
- Add some sliced cooked mushrooms and garlic to the sauce and pour over cooked chicken
- The sauce can be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat thoroughly before serving
- Children enjoy helping to weigh the ingredients
Mash or chop for babies starting solids - but be careful to remove small fishbones!
Great as a main meal with some crusty bread, or as a side dish with chicken, fish or meat