For the filling:
400g-500g fresh fruit (e.g. eating apples, bananas, pears, plums, or a mixture of fruits)
For the topping:
100g plain flour
50g butter or unsaturated margarine
Put the oven on to gas mark 5 (190°C/375°F) so it can heat up. Sieve the flour into a bowl. Break the butter or margarine into chunks and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, mixing it in with your fingers.
Wash, peel and slice the fruit, removing any seeds or pips. Arrange the sliced fruit in the ovenproof dish.
Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the fruit. Put the dish on a baking tray, and bake in the oven for 40 minutes until the top is golden brown and the filling bubbles up round the edges.
- Add a handful of oats to the flour for a crunchy topping
- Serve with yoghurt, fromage frais or custard
- Tinned fruit in natural juice or frozen fruit can be used instead of fresh. Tinned blackberries, apricots, pears or peaches or frozen forest fruits all work well
- Dried fruit such as raisins, ready to eat prunes or figs can also be chopped up and added to the fruit filling for variety
- Let children help with making the crumble topping, making sure they wash their hands first
Perfect as a snack or served with fillings for a family meal or packed lunch
Easy to cook and full of colours, textures and flavours for children to explore