1/2 red pepper, sliced (remove seeds)
4-6 button mushrooms sliced
1/2 courgette thinly sliced
1 tomato thinly sliced (or other vegetables you like)
English muffins - allow 1 muffin per adult, 1/2 muffin per child
1 tbsp (about 15g) grated mature cheddar cheese per slice of muffin
2 tsp tomato sauce per slice of muffin
Turn grill on to medium to heat up. Prepare the vegetables: wash slice and remove any seeds. Grate the cheese.
Cut the muffins in half and put under the grill until just turning brown. Spread the tomato sauce on each slice, and add the grated cheese.
Arrange the sliced vegetables on top of the cheese. Cook under the grill for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Serve the mini pizzas with potato wedges and salad or sticks of cucumber, carrot, pepper, and chopped tomatoes
- They can be kept in the fridge until the next day and then packed in a lunch box
- Cut into slices as finger food for older babies: include slices of vegetables they will find easy to hold and chew
- Experiment with other toppings: chopped turkey, tinned tuna flakes, chunks of pineapple (tinned in natural juice) or cooked sweet corn (tinned or frozen)
- Use crumpets, French bread or pitta bread as a base instead of muffins
- Get the children involved by letting them choose their own toppings
Children enjoy choosing pasta shapes for this dish, which uses our easy recipe for tomato sauce
This sauce can be used to create all sorts of family meals - like tuna and sweetcorn pasta